Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Prelude to the Crazy

Part 1:  Alright boys and girls...it's the story you have been waiting for!

Monday, February 13th.


I should preface this with we have been praying for a quick (but not too quick...no delivering on the highway!) labor, pain free, and healthy mom, healthy baby.  Because we were praying for pain free labor, we were praying that God would let us know it was time by one of three ways:

           1.  My water would break (which it had never done...the dr's broke my water the other two times)
           2.  My first contraction would be so painful, I would KNOW I was in labor
           3.  The Lord would literally say to me, "GET IN YOUR CAR NOW."

And we begin!:

Jordan had to work in the morning, but unfortunately until 3 pm.  Normally, that's not a big deal...but this is Valentine's week!  Essentially, the Superbowl at The Melting Pot...he was working ALL week in Addison.  He called the MP, and asked if he could take the night off...no reason, other than he knew he wouldn't see me and the kids all day (since he would have to leave from Starbucks and go straight to MP), and the rest of the week would be pretty limited as well.  They agreed, since they weren't that busy.

I was feeling really good all day...doing my normal mom things!  Picked up Rea from school at 3:20, came home, worked on Valentine's for her class. Read some books, relaxed, got ready to run errands.

6:10 pm: Get out of the car at Target, and hear a pop.  Most of the time, when I hear a pop, it's either my hips popping out of place or "Cletus" kicking me in the ribs.  This was different, but there was no "gush" like people said.

6:40 pm: Come back home, change clothes into sweats, and realize that instead of a "gush" it was more like a leaky faucet (sorry for those of you who do not have kids yet....).

6:45 pm:  I text my midwife asking, "How do I know if my water broke?"

While I waited for her to respond, I finished cooking dinner, did the dishes, cleaned the kitchen.  Jordan was spending time with the kiddos in the back.  Donnellyn (my midwife) called me back and we discussed why I thought my water had broken.  She was almost home (south FW) and said she would swing by her house, and then meet me at the Hurst location to check and see if my water had really broken.  She said if ANYTHING changed, to call me immediately and we would go to Argyle instead.

7:22 pm:  Donnellyn calls and lets me know she is about 10 minutes from the Hurst location.  Asks me how I am feeling, and I let her know I am feeling great.   She says she will see me shortly.

7:28 pm: Jordan calls Donnellyn and says that I have had my first contraction.  It is not painful, but it was definitely a contraction.  D and Jordan talk back and forth and come to the conclusion that we should just go to Argyle, where the birth center is...just in case.  We apologize for making her drive all over the DFW area :/

7:35 pm: We pack up dinner, and I text Erica (my beautiful friend and photographer!) to let her know the status.  She says she is finishing up dinner and will head out shortly.  I text my parents, my sister, and our friends the Duncan's (who are helping watch kiddos) just to let them all know this COULD be it.

8:00 pm:  We pass by our church, and the contractions are slightly stronger.  Still not painful, but letting me know that they are there.

8:35 pm:  Arrive at the birth center!  We come in, kids immediately start to play with the toys.  We talk to D, and she looks at me like I am crazy.  She says, "You do not look like a woman in labor."  Jor and I both laugh, and I say, "Well, we have been praying for pain free!  Either I'm not in labor or this is going to go down just like we prayed!"  She laughed, and agreed.  We started in just like a normal appointment.  Go to the bathroom, weigh myself, take my pulse and blood pressure.

8:49 pm:  Done with all of the "basics" we now get to test to see if my water really broke or I just have no control over my bladder (again...sorry for those of you who do not have kids yet...but one day you will understand).  D does the test, and the swab comes back dark brown...amniotic fluid!  We are officially in labor!!  Jordan and I high five each other, like nerds ;)  She checks me....95% effaced, 2 cm dialated, baby is at a -2.  We have a ways to go, but we are officially staying!

8:57 pm:  I text Erica and let her know to come on down!  She is excited and says she is leaving as we speak.

9:05 pm:  I send Jordan to Walmart.  We forgot a couple of items (like snacks for the kiddos) and Donnellyn says it will probably be awhile.  I change clothes into a maternity dress and put my hair up.  Nolan says I look beautiful, just like a princess....I love him so.  :)  Then, I do the normal 21st Century thing, and update my status.

This whole time, I am praying, please...I do not want a Valentine's Day baby...... (Continue to Part 2!)

2 comments:

  1. Love the minute by minute detail! Feel like I was there and Nolan's comment is awesome!!! Part II por favor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 2! Go for it! We are on pins and needles over here! :D

    P.S. He is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

    ReplyDelete