Part 2:
Okay, here we go.....
So when I last left you, I was sitting on my computer (updating my status, upgrading Spotify...no ads while in labor!) and Jor was sent to Walmart.
9:10 pm: Donnellyn comes over, asks how I am and encourages me to get up and walk around. I agree and let her know I will momentarily. Rea and Nolan come over and we chat for a minute, then they run off to play.
9:17 pm: I start walking around and can definitely FEEL contractions, but am still feeling good. I am warm in the center, so I head outside. Yes, I was in a short sleeve dress, and yes it was 9:15 pm in February. I don't care.
9:20 pm: Erica arrives! She gives me the same look that Donnellyn gives me...the "you are surely not in labor" look. I essentially tell her part 1, and she assumes we will be in for the long haul as well. So she grabs her camera, has a seat off to the side, and lets me know that she will be in the background.
9:28 pm: My phone rings, and it takes me a minute to get over to the couch. Jor was on the phone and he starts asking me questions about what kind of snacks I think he should pick up, how many, etc. I realize that my pain is starting to increase, and he is no where near close to being back. As nicely as I can muster, I tell him I don't care what he gets, as long as he gets back quickly. Jor tells me later that he hung up the phone and went straight to the check-out. He still thought that we had some time, but knew I was serious.
9:41 pm: Jordan shows back up and sees me leaning over the kids toy chest. He drops off the snacks in the kitchen, and I head back outside. Realizing that because I was sweating, and it's freezing outside, being outside is a terrible idea. I come back in and go rest my head on the countertop. Jor comes over and starts rubbing my back. My legs are shaking so badly that I can barely stand and am starting to regret this whole idea. I feel stuck. I know that it has not been long and I am afraid I am only going to be 4 cm and my entire body will shut down before I get to a 10. I ask Jor to go talk to Donnellyn and see if we can move to the tub. I hear her tell him that if we move to the tub too early, we will stall out labor, so I can move to the shower. I want to cry...but agree.
9:47 pm: We move to the bathroom where the shower is running. I lean over the tub, and start swaying back and forth. I hear D ask Jor to start timing me. Jor starts and asks me to tell him when my contraction stops. Lucky me, I have double peak contractions (one of the many things I forgot about with my labor with Reagan). Two and a half minutes into the same contraction, I hear D turn off the shower and say, "We need to get her in the tub." PRAISE GOD.
9:50 pm: D wants to check my progress before we get in the tub to make sure. I wait for a break in my contraction and lie down. She checks me...twice. "You are at a 7. Get ready sweetie...you're about to have a baby."
10-11 pm: This next hour is kind of a blur. I know I get in the tub and place my head in my hands. D checks baby's heart rate, and informs me that it's slow. She asks me to move to all fours and take big deep breaths. Baby's heart rate improves, but I get oxygen to be safe. After a few moments, D checks baby's heart rate and it has slowed again. She asks me to lay on my left side, which I am grateful for since my arms are beginning to give out the other way. Baby's heart rate increases. I still have on the oxygen, and I know my eyes have been closed since I got in the tub. I have my head laying in Jordan's lap....and I'm scared. I hear him begin to pray for me and the baby. Looking back, I have no idea what he said, but I know I was at peace while he was praying.
He finishes praying and D checks the heart rate again. She takes off my mask under the premise that I will continue deep breathing. She begins praying as well. As she finishes, I tell her that I feel like I am close to pushing...she tells me when I feel this way to go ahead. I tell Jordan that if he was going to catch the baby, he needs to move to the other end of the tub.
11:10 (ish) pm: Two or three pushes in...nothing. I feel like baby is not moving like I need. I can hear Jordan encouraging me, telling me I am doing great...don't give up. The oxygen comes back on. Donnellyn checks baby's heart rate again. I'm listening to the heart rate and I say, "It's slow." I hear D whisper to someone in the room and I hear that individual leave. Very quietly, I hear Donnellyn say, "It is slow. It's too slow. This next contraction, I am going to take off your mask and I need to you hold your breath and push with everything you have. We need to get this baby out now." I can feel myself panic as I say, "I'm worried about the baby...what happens if I can't push enough to get the baby out?" She says, "Don't worry you will." I feel Jordan's hand on my leg, and I hear Donnellyn begin to pray. (Click here...part 3 is the best part!)


amazing Stef!
ReplyDeleteThis is like a good book- especially the way you keep leaving us on cliff hanger moments. Dying to hear the rest of the story. =) What an amazing story and powerful testimony.
ReplyDeleteI've been loving reading these posts! I'm so honored that you read my blog and that you mentioned it on yours. And I'm also VERY happy for you that your little boy wasn't as "late" as mine. :) Can't wait to read part 3! congrats to you and your family.
ReplyDelete