1. When are you finding out what you are having? A. In February.
2. What are you planning on naming the baby? A. You will find out in February :)
3. When are you going to start looking pregnant? A. My friends are sweet..... and liars.
4. What hospital are you delivering at? A. I'm not. I'm delivering at a birth center.
I get a variety of responses after I tell people I am delivering at a birth center. Some people are excited. I even had one friend say, "It's totally different than with an epidural. You're gonna love it!"...followed by an evil smile, and a little bit of an evil laugh......
Other people, most people, think I am out of my mind.
Jordan and I discussed the option of a birth center long before we knew Tweedle #3 was on the way. I wanted his opinion on the matter...and I wanted to see which response he would give me. He gave
Initially, he laughed and thought I was nuts. Then, he realized I wasn't joking. Then, he started to panic. After some discussion, he was excited.
Maybe you're one of the people that think I'm crazy (that's okay, I may be). Here's why we decided to move this direction:
-- I don't remember labor from my first two deliveries.
* Rea and Nolan's deliveries were so different. I remember that Rea tried to kill me from the get-go. She was coming out, come hell or high water. And then when it was time to push, she changed her mind (just like a girl, right??). I had an epidural, and I remember bits and pieces of the night...I remember Jordan wanting to "talk" about how if this was false labor, I could be induced the next day. I remember filling out a TON of paperwork. And I remember them putting the needle in my hand for my IV, and then when asking me to "sit up, arch my back, and not move" while I got the epidural, the IV came out of my vein. That was fun. The remaining 7.5 hours, I remember nothing.
* Nolan was induced, because my doctor was worried about my blood clotting. As soon as I got in the door, they started the IV. Once the epidural kicked in, I passed out, and woke up to them telling me it was time to push. I had to wake Jordan so that he could participate.
* What I do remember, is that I actually LIKE the delivery process (WHAT??!?!). There is no other feeling in the world like it, men can't do it, and it gives you a crazy rush of hormones that take you on a roller coaster of emotion, ending in pure elation and exhaustion.
-- These birth stories/pictures, give such an amazing testimony of the strength of each of these women, as well as the strength of their husbands. I am literally moved to tears at the complete surrender these women are going through, and I only know one of them personally (the other I know the photographer....who I am going to convince to drive up for the birth of our third!!), but through these pictures, I FEEL what they are going through. If you have some time, check them out:
Arden Prucha's Birth Story
Caitlin Hines' Birth Story
-- Finally, the biggest thing I think that God has shown me over the last several months, is that I, Stefanie, am a control freak. Yes, you heard it here (not first, but I did say it). Through this process, I am going to have to completely surrender myself to the process of birth, to my midwife's instruction, and most importantly, my wonderful husband.
Here is a time in my life where if I hold onto to control, the process is harder. Even in life, when we hold onto control, and don't relinquish the decision to the Lord, the climb can be more difficult. I am praying that through this labor and delivery, Jordan and I will become closer and I am more reliant on him. Spiritually, we know that we will have to rely on God's strength to get us through the end (and maybe the beginning if this one is anything like Rea!). Emotionally...oooo buddy.........

No comments:
Post a Comment